Wandering in search of......

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Fun in the sun, I mean cold, I mean .........

























So I just went out on a trip last night we left at 6 and got back to McMurdo at midnight and yes the sun was still shining bright even at that time, oi vey. Anyhoo, we went to this place called Cape Evans, it was the shelter that Robert Falcon Scott used for his epic adventure to be the first to make it to the South Pole, of course he was eventually beaten by Admunsen the Norwegian. Nonetheless, it was an amazing place and the artifacts their are amazing, all completely preserved, mind you not by the museum curator but the bloody dry and cold environment. It seems as if we walked into history as we walked into the door way it really was quite amazing. They had pieces of seal blubber used for fuel to keep warm, condiments via 1910 I mean almost 100 years old still perfectly clear labels, many filled unused and mostly usable looking. One of the best the best was the bottle of Heinz ketchup, look at the label, one thing has changed in almost 100 years, there is no longer a pickle on the label but beyond that still the same. They also have pieces of science equipment and many other pieces of almost ancient looking ski's and other tools of the era. Their sleeping quarters are so tiny they all would have to be midgets to fit comfortably but they still perservered. You have to love the pinup of a lady for thier female homesickness, I put it in some clip art from my camera for fun. All in all in was one of those moments when I say to myself, this is one of the reasons I came to Antarctica, to see history in the raw, and I mean raw, no ropes, no guards, no buzzers for crossing the line but pure untouched history. While I was waiting to get into the shack I was looking around at the little islands out on the Ross Sea, there is Little and Big Razorback island, then there is Barne glacier with all its blue ice and the once again the views of Mt. Erabus but the closest I have been to it yet and of course the many shots, angles and pieces of the snow and ice world. I decided to do a mix of shots of all the snow and ice that I have and will see! I think it will be beautiful look and see at some of what I have already! Also here is a picture of the girl I am attempting to court, very cool, very down to earth, very funny, tis Maria! Ok I cannot type anymore for I have extremely cracked skin on my fingers and it hurts like hell to type but I had to enlighten ya'll on my most recent adventure, enjoy! Till the next time, ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home