Wandering in search of......

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Rollin' Along








So this last week has been quite taxing, I started my shift work, which is 5:30-6:30, but I get Wed and Sat off and that helps alot. I was working from 6-6 before doin training and just getting used to the process. This job is a lot different than being a janitor last season. It requires a lot of team work and hardiness. It is so bloody cold out there and the wind is brutal. I do really enjoy driving the tractors, or loaders as we call them, very much. We use radios for communication and that is supprisingly fun as well. There is something reminiscent of Smokey and The Bandit for me, using call names and codes, such as "What's your twenty?", which is code for where are you right now. It's funny we all have nicknames on our crew, my co-worker Seth, whom I mentioned before, with the last name of Turner, he is Cargo Turner and I am Cargo Hooch. If anyone does not get the connection there was a film with Tom Hanks and his screen name is Scott Turner and this dog, Hooch so hence we are Turner and Hooch! Its ok with me that I get to be the slobbery dog, but hey he is a very smart dog in the movie so I got that goin for me. I have included some work pics one is of me waiting to unload a plane, which is nerve wracking and my coworker is unloading the plane, then I turned around and took a pic of the front of a C130 Hercules, pretty cool shot. The bosses say that if you hit a plane you are on one back to the States so of course we all are very delicate with plane approach and grabbing the cargo, however, imagine tryin to be delicate with a 5-ton loader handling fine china, suffice to say we do it and it so far has been going well and the bosses are all impressed with our work. One of the other pics is of a boss of mine, Bear, the pic explains itself. He is a very relaxed and cool boss and friend as well, with a great sense of humor. The other pics are of shots of the mountains and Mt. Erebus, the active volcano from the ice runway where I currently work. And last a shot of Erebus takin through my goggle lens to give it a tint pretty cool and my first hike of the year with a very cool woman I have gotten to know, Maria.

The day shift social life is quite nice as well. I was on nights last season so its good to be getting both sides of the coin. I feel like Im making a lot more friends than last season mainly because Im able to see that many more people during the day. I have been enjoying my roommates company as well, they are good guys. Ill tell more later about them when I take a pic of the three of them. I have met a few woman that I am interested as well but I am not trying to have anything in terms of a relationship at this point but we shall see, as most of you all know Im a hopeless romantic so it is difficult to supress the urge. Well time to run off and go listen to the science lecture about Penguins, Ciao till the next time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home